Have you had the same Verizon phone number for years now and wish to change it? If yes, then this blog is here to help you out. However, you may need a new phone number for ample reasons. For instance, someone might want to change their number because certain people have been bothering them for quite a while.
On the other hand, some do it simply because they’ve grown bored with their old numbers. Again, some people might want their numbers changed because they have moved to a new area that has a different area code. So, there could be all sorts of reasons as to why a person would want to change their number.
The good news is that with Verizon, you can do that in a jiffy! The procedure of changing your phone number is really simple at Verizon. The best thing is that you can do it seamlessly with the My Verizon app or their website.
Moreover, their customer service is commendable too. You can always give them a call and their customer care agents will help you out. Also, changing your Verizon phone number is free of cost.
With all that in mind, let’s start discussing how to change your Verizon phone number and clear all other related doubts that you might have.
Changing Your Verizon Phone Number
It is very simple and easy to change your Verizon phone number. You can do this through both the app and their website. The steps in both cases are more or less the same. Just remember that the interface and the navigation system might be a bit different in both these cases.
Changing Your Phone Number Via the Website
- Visit verizon.com, and then sign in
- Click on Devices on the dashboard
- Now, click on device overview, and then select the device whose phone number you want to change.
- Then, keep scrolling down and click on manage. Keep in mind that only the managers or the full account holders are allowed to modify their numbers.
- After that, you will be presented with two options: getting a new phone number or transfer the number you have. Transferring means that you can use the number that you had with another wireless provider with Verizon. To execute this, follow the steps given below:
- Check if your number is eligible for transfer or not
- Fill up the transfer request form
- Wait for 24 hours until the process is completed
- Enter your zip code
- Select the 6 digits your phone number is starting with
- Choose the date when you want the change to be effective
- Once done, you will receive a confirmation message with instructions to activate your phone number
Will Verizon impose any restrictions if you try to change your phone number?
If you already have a pending order, then Verizon will limit you from changing your phone number. Now, pending order is such a case where you have executed a change but it hasn’t yet been reflected on your account or hasn’t been completed. For example, a pending order could be you trying to change your monthly plans, have your account upgraded, and so on.
Amount Charged To Change Your Verizon Phone Number
In case you are changing your number for the first time, then you won’t have to pay any costs for the same. This is valid for both existing and new clients. But, in case, you already have changed your phone number and want to do it again. Then, you need to contact customer care and they will guide you through the procedure.
Choosing Your Own Number
You can have some amount of authority while changing your number. Verizon Wireless will also give you the permit to choose the area code and the prefix of your new number. Now, the prefix forms the core of your phone number, so, you do change a bit of your new number.
But, you won’t have any authority over the last four digits. Those will be selected by Verizon for you and also, these are provided in real-time without any delays. After this step is done, you are free to choose the rest of the numbers.
Is it Easier for Existing Customers to Change Their Verizon Numbers?
While changing your phone number is a fairly simple task but it does become simpler if you are an existing customer. This is because existing customers might have a better idea when it comes to navigating through the Verizon mobile app.
So, it will be comparatively easier to change your number if you know the set of instructions beforehand. But, people have become very tech-savvy now, so even if you are a new customer, you will catch up easily.
What if Someone Rings My Old Number After I Get A New One?
If you have successfully changed your old number, then the calls or texts directed towards your old number will not reach you. The reason being that your old number will stand deactivated by Verizon. So, to make sure that your loved ones can reach you, you should give them your new number.
What Should I Do If My Phone Doesn’t Work After Changing My Number?
It might happen that after getting a new phone number, the devices can’t make or receive calls or even access the internet. In such a situation, you need to follow the steps given below:
If you have a 4G phone:
- Switch off your phone
- Keep it like so for around 5 minutes and then, you can turn the device on again
- To confirm that your phone is working smoothly, ring #382.
If you use a 3G phone:
- Turn off your phone
- Wait for at least 5 minutes before you turn it back on again.
- Call #288 and then type 1 when asked to, in the call and then, end the call.
- Dial #382 and verify that your new Verizon number is working and valid.
Changing your Verizon phone number is pretty simple. Moreover, you don’t have to give them a new address or repeat your personal details. However, you should keep in mind that going back to your last number is not possible anymore. And with that, you now know how to change your Verizon phone number easily and other related aspects of the procedure