Love your shiny, new G1 phone but don’t want to stay bound to T-Mobile? No problemo. The team at Love For Biz discovered you can unlock the G1 yourself in little to no time. Here’s how it’s done:
1. Insert friends activated T-mobile SIM into G1 along with battery
2. Power on and wait for setup screen
3. Go through setup process to link any Gmail account
4. Go to Settings > Wireless Controls > Wi-Fi Settings > Enable Wi-Fi
5. Connect to nearby Wi-Fi network if one is available
6. Optional: Stop the phone from syncing with Gmail account by going to Data Synchronization and unchecking Auto-sync, Gmail, Calendar, and Contacts
7. Once done, take out friends SIM card and insert unactivated SIM that came with G1
If you don’t have a blank SIM card, waltz into any T-Mobile store and with enough social engineering and excuses, you should be able to procure one. This is fantastic news for both T-Mobile and AT&T users who are looking to defect to another network or use the G1.
Update: It appears that this won’t let you use AT&T but it will let you use the G1 as a nice little Internet device using only WiFi.