Thanks to the invention of vape pens and THC vape oils, there has never been a safer or cooler way to smoke without drawing attention to yourself or doing serious damage to your lungs. If you’ve ever wondered how to make oil cartridges or whether it’s even possible to do it yourself, we’ve put together a guide to help you through the process.
For people who live in places where cannabis is legal, purchasing CBD or THC vape juice is easy and cost-friendly. However, most people find it incredibly difficult to access pre-filled cartridges and probably have to pay exorbitant prices for it when they can.
You don’t need to be a chemist or some kind of science expert to make your own oil cartridges. With just a few ingredients, supplies, and a willingness to follow instructions carefully, you can make your own THC oil that’s just as safe and potent as the ones on the market.
As with most things, it might take a little trial and error before you finally perfect the process, but it’s totally doable. Here’s a quick, easy, and wonderfully affordable way to go about it.
What you’ll need
- Hair straightener or a Rosin press
- Three grams of dry herbs—herbs preferably compact nugs
- Wax Liquidizer like a food-grade Terpenes solution
- Parchment paper
- Small mixing glass
- Mixing spoon
The Rosin Extraction Method
There are various ways to make oil cartridges, but this is by far the easiest and safest to pull off. There’s a reduced chance of you ruining the potency of the liquid or creating a potentially toxic mixture that might prove harmful when inhaled.
This method requires you extract rosin wax from your dry marijuana nugs by pressing them with a heated Hair straightener or a Rosin press, after which you add a little liquidizer, and heat the mixture to properly combine it.
Here’s the step by step process:
1. To get started, pack your dry herbs into tight and compact bundles that can fit into your hair straightener for rosin press. You will need to repeat this a few times depending on the size of the equipment you’re using.
2. When that is done, get your rosin press or straightener ready by plugging it to an electric outlet. The ideal temperature to aim for about 120–140°C (250–280°F). If you’re unsure about the heat levels, have a thermometer nearby to gauge the temperature and adjust accordingly.
3. Spread your nugs on a piece of parchment paper and fold it so the nugs are wedged in between. Next, place it on the heated plates of the press or straightener and forcefully press down hard for 5-10 seconds. If done correctly, neither the nugs nor the paper will get burnt, so watch out for that.
4. Remove the pressed nugs and set them aside. There will be a little rosin wax on the paper which you will have to peel off later.
5. Repeat the steps above until you’ve pressed the entire three grams of weed.
6. Place the pressed nugs in the freezer for about two minutes, so the rosin wax can harden, making it easier for you to peel off.
7. Once out of the freezer, use the mixing spoon to remove the rosin from the parchments and place it in your small mixing glass.
8. Use the dropper to add 1ml or 8 drops of the Terpenes solution or whatever wax liquidizer you prefer into the glass with the rosin wax.
9. Heat the mixture by holding the lighter under it until the content of the glass starts to bubble. This should only take a few seconds. Don’t overheat the mixture as this can drastically reduce the flavor and potency of the liquid.
10. Another way to heat the solution is to pour boiling water into a bowl and let the glass sit in it for a while so the content can mix.
11. Once that is done or the liquid begins to bubble, use the mixing spoon to swirl the liquid around so the mixture is properly combined.
12. Grab your syringe, suck out the solution and inject it into your cartridges or store in an airtight bottle for the time being.
If you followed these steps correctly, you should have high-quality, safe, potent, and great-tasting oil on your hands. That’s all it takes! You now know how to make oil cartridges like an expert.